Duct tape is so useful that folks use it for various things, from fitness workouts, space explorations, dressmaking, and survivalist emergencies to home repairs. It almost appears like duct tape places the “all” in “do-it-all.” However, each do-it-all has its limit, and you’ll ponder whether duct tape is waterproof.
Duct tape isn’t completely waterproof. However, it stays waterproof on most surfaces for a good amount of time. Duct tape will quickly fix a moist problem, but it can’t do it permanently, so it might not hold up for as long as you will want, particularly on a porous surface.
Keep examining as I talk about further why duct tape isn’t water resistant and how lengthy it’ll hold up. I’ll additionally share tips about how to get the finest water resistance along with your duct tape and imply selections to duct tape you can consider. Preserve reading.
Why Isn’t Duct Tape Waterproof?
Duct tape isn’t waterproof because it’s designed to be waterproof only. That implies duct tape can’t completely block out water and provide a high point of coverage against water. Because duct tape is merely water-resistant, it could block out water yet can’t carry up for very long.
Duct tape is made of 3 layers of material: the sticky bottom layer with a coat of adhesive that’s generally gotten from natural and organic rubber; a middle layer of cloth grid with a variable thread count number based at the grade of the tape; and an outer polythene layer that allows repel water and bond any other layers together.
The glue at the sticky facet is made to remain effective for as long as possible, usually for at least 6 months, depending at the adhesive sort — however it weakens after a while and would start to peel off.
When the duct tape is in contact with a moist surface, the adhesive weakens much faster, the duct tape loses its sticky high quality extra quickly, and it turns into unable to seal the skin effectively. In case you submerge it in water, the tape may even peel away altogether over a brief period.
How Lengthy Does Duct Tape Hold?
Duch tape can hold for a number of months, even a yr or more. However, be aware that unique duct tape manufacturers can hold better than others. That’s since the polythene and adhesive substances used for the tape and the nature of the surface they hold may well be different.
Also, the elements components it’s uncovered to can also affect how lengthy the duct tape can last.
Even in case you can’t are expecting how lengthy your duct tape will hold for, how a lot the duct tape is uncovered to the sunlight or water commonly of thumb. In case you apply it to a floor that’s wet, uneven, extremely hot or cold, or exposed to UV rays from sunlight, the tape won’t probably paintings long-term.
You should search for a extra everlasting alternative specifically suited for that goal or seek advice a repairs expert to have a professional task done.
How to Get the Finest Water Resistance With Your Duct Tape
One of the excuses duct tape is so famous is how effortlessly accessible it is for emergencies. For under $20, you could get a roll of duct tape at your neighborhood shop as a short repair for almost any problem:
Choose High-Quality Duct-Tape
Yes, you’re now not walking into the shop intentionally searching for low-quality tape, yet you may make the mistake of honestly picking out the most costly company on the rack, assuming that it equates to excessive quality. You shouldn’t penny-pinch either, yet the price is merely one of the explanations you should appear out for when choosing your duct tape.
These are some metrics for making sure optimal water resistance with your duct tape:
- Choose tape made with an adhesive gotten from natural rubber for bigger force and reliability in severe conditions.
- Gauge the thickness of the tape and select one about 11 milli-inches (0.27 mm) thick to get a near-perfect balance of thickness, strength, and flexibility.
- Choose a duct tape synthetic by co-extrusion (no lamination). Laminated tapes usually have a wrinkled texture and outer ridges that might not lay flat on surfaces for very long. In contrast, co-extruded tapes often have a smoother finish with tiny dimples on the outside.
Clean Your Application Surface
A poorly wiped clean surface will make any adhesive much less effective, notwithstanding how powerful it is, so it’s important to prepare your floor by way of properly cleansing it earlier than using duct tape on it. You could wipe the outside with a mixture of equivalent parts water and alcohol to remove grease and dust and depart it to dry safely before making use of the tape.
Use Duct Tape on a Gentle Surface
The layer of adhesive on duct tape is really thin, so it doesn’t paintings o.k. with hard surfaces that need deep, low-point touch for correct adhesion.
If you need to attach a rough surface, you may smoothen it out by means of evenly abrading in circular lines. But if replacing the outside isn’t an option, consider other non-tape adhesive products.
Store the Tape Properly
“Keep in a cool, dry place” isn’t only a component hardware manufacturers write for the heck of it. Tape could be surprisingly reactive to garage conditions, so you surely should store your duct tape at room temperature and away from moisture to maintain it effective.
Use the Tape at Optimal Temperature
A temperature of approximately 64.4°F (a little lower than room temperature) is usually simply notable for buying duct tape to stick properly.
Extremely hot stipulations will trigger the warmth to melt the adhesive, making the tape smooth and ineffective, while extreme bloodless might make it too hard to stick. It could be difficult to get ideal temperature conditions, though, so any cool vicinity ought to do just fine.
Alternatives to Duct Tape
If you would like an alternative choice to duct tape, here are some that you may investigate out:
- Waterproofing tape: It uses aluminum foil, bitumen, or butyl-based substances within the location of the polythene in duct tape to coat the other aspects of the adhesives. It’s specifically designed to carry wet or moist surfaces, and so much waterproofing tapes declare to sustain company adhesion, even underwater. It’s now not as flexible as duct tape, however it provides considerable insulation opposed to water and air, especially in buildings.
- Flex tape: A bendy tape made with a heavy-duty, extra-thick adhesive layer and a water-resistant backing. Most flex tapes declare to be bendy enough to comply to any shape or floor and resistant sufficient to resist excessive temperatures and UV rays from sunlight. Extremely good flex tapes have powerful adhesion with time and pressure. Therefore, they are able to work as adhesive tape for moist surfaces, even lower than harsh conditions.
- Masking tape: For non-waterproof needs, masking tape is valuable for transitority fixes, packing tape, or material tape for sealing cartons and boxes.
- Gaffa tape: Resembling duct tape yet has an improved point of warmth resistance for hot conditions.
If carefully chosen and correctly applied, duct tape can fix whatever that needs fixing. The dicey part, though, is getting it to hold up for as long as you need.
Standard duct tape will efficaciously preserve water out for a while, yet it’s not completely impermeable. Duct tape isn’t waterproof; it’s waterproof only.
That said, you should call a home repair professional or seem into a extra permanent do-it-yourself solution.
When purchasing duct tape, be sure it’s high-quality. You also want to ensure you purely use duct tape on clean surfaces. Store the tape properly whilst no longer in use.