If you find yourself locked out of your house and can’t find your keys, panic may set in. However, there are ways to unlock a deadbolt without a key. In this article, we’ll discuss some of the methods you can use to regain access to your home.
Using a Credit Card
One of the most common methods for unlocking a deadbolt without a key is using a credit card. Here’s how to do it:
- Choose a card that’s sturdy enough to withstand the pressure you’ll apply to it.
- Insert the card between the door frame and the latch, with the card’s short edge facing the latch.
- Hold the card at an angle and begin to wiggle it back and forth while pushing it inward. This should push the latch back and allow the door to open.
It’s important to note that this method may not work on newer deadbolts that have anti-pick pins or other security features.
Using a Screwdriver
Another method for unlocking a deadbolt without a key is using a screwdriver. Here’s how to do it:
- Choose a screwdriver that’s small enough to fit in the keyhole.
- Insert the screwdriver into the keyhole and turn it clockwise until the deadbolt turns.
This method requires a bit more finesse than using a credit card, and may not work on all deadbolts.
Using a Bobby Pin
If you don’t have a credit card or screwdriver handy, you can try using a bobby pin to unlock your deadbolt. Here’s how to do it:
- Bend the bobby pin into a straight line.
- Insert the straight end of the bobby pin into the keyhole and push it in as far as it will go.
- Use the curved end of the bobby pin to try to turn the deadbolt. Wiggle it back and forth until the deadbolt turns.
Again, this method may not work on all deadbolts, especially those with anti-pick pins.
Q: Is it legal to unlock a deadbolt without a key?
It’s generally legal to unlock your own home’s deadbolt, as long as you’re not breaking and entering. However, it’s important to check your local laws to make sure.
Q: Can a locksmith unlock a deadbolt without a key?
Yes, a locksmith can typically unlock a deadbolt without a key using specialized tools and techniques.
Q: What if none of these methods work?
If you’re unable to unlock your deadbolt using these methods or any others, it’s best to call a locksmith or other professional for assistance.
While getting locked out of your house can be stressful, there are ways to unlock a deadbolt without a key. Whether you use a credit card, screwdriver, or bobby pin, it’s important to be careful and use the method that works best for your specific deadbolt. And if all else fails, don’t hesitate to call a professional for help.